Spirit Animal Blog Award
Not much else lifts me like peer recognition. When Kelly Miles honored me with the Spirit Animal Blog Award last week I was buried, and yet the notification blasted me through. If you haven’t met her through her fascinating blog, Author Kelly Miles be sure to take a look at one of the kindest members of the blogosphere!
Spirit Animal Blog Award Acceptance Rules:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to that page.
- Post the award picture on your blog.
- Write a short paragraph about yourself and what your blog means to you.
- If you could be any animal, what would you be?
- Pick and notify ten nominees.
My blog signifies to me that I overcame my fears of submitting and criticism (okay, unintentionally offending readers) and put my work out there.
As for what animal I think I’d like to be: I deduce I’d be a better wolf candidate than any other creature.
For decades I volunteered with several organizations rescuing wolves and wolf dogs (which I believe are the world’s most conflicted and misunderstood creatures): simply put, we seem to have kindred souls and I speak most canid dialects. For a season I actively lobbied to pass laws for stricter penalties for offenders and to stop the capture of wolves and breeding wolves with domestic dogs. Too many humans overlook how irresponsible this is – while they are both canids and (as of 1990) wolves and domestic breed dogs were indistinguishable by DNA, their natures conflict. One instinctively avoids man, the other (mostly) likes to please man.
Even so, very often my wolf companions led me through their healing journeys which I believe also helped me even more. I’m more like them than any other animal I can think of (except maybe a whale 😉 ; pack oriented, loyal, astounding endurance, and fierce defenders of their territory. I like the idea of being a golden eagle, but I’m uneasy at heights lately. Or a horse. I think I’d make a grand horse.
We don’t have such options, so I continue pressing onward, embracing my imperfections and learning to appreciate myself as a work in progress.
My Spirit Animal Blog Award Nominees:
1. Arlene Powers at Arlene Powers Bird Art and Discussion Site
2. Suddenly Single in Marin, Surely the Wild and Whimsical know their Animal Spirits
3. Patrick Marsh at What the Basement Said, Dachshunds and monsters are animals. Right?
4. Bob Mayer at Write on the River.
5. Yechielyah at The BPS Blog
6. Sarahs Attic of Treasures
7. Charles French Words Reading and Writing
9. Diane at Ladies Who Lunch Reviews
10. Cynthia at Tales for Life
“So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.” The Bible, 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NLT)