My new friend Patricia at Tea and Tales has my attention. She not only shares reviews of noteworthy books and tea rooms, but her tea suggestions tease my taste buds. If you haven’t met, I highly recommend you pop by and acquaint yourself with some Tennessee charm.
Last winter I nearly shorted out the old electric oven in our rental home. With too much time on my hands I started drying citrus for teas and potpourri, using the tastier results for the former. Evidently electric ovens at lowest settings create a moisture buildup in the most unfortunate places that can ruin the control panels. Once entirely dried the oven was restored.
However, my present home is equipped with an old gas oven, not a new model with electronic pilots. The oven stays between 115 – 125 degrees (f) whether I utilize it or not. Drying fruits, veggies and teas has become an obsession. On a broiler pan and parchment paper it takes a few days. Granted, a dehydrator is far more efficient, but uses electricity. In a pinch use it anyway (like, for Erin and grand girl’s birthdays, drying 10 pounds of apples into chips in three or four days). It’s also best for more moist items, like pineapple, banana, summer fruits and jerky.
A few years back while my daughter-in-love worked for Teavana, they introduced a fabulous Fig Rose tea – and then promptly discontinued it. Villains. I was hooked. I searched, but haven’t found it. I used the last traces of it last winter and have craved it since. I Googled the original blend, obtained the ingredients and filed it. Until this week.
At Sprouts, my favorite local store (within walking distance for me), I noticed dried figs in the bin section. I passed them by for a few weeks until I spotted a display of dried offerings in the vitamin section – dried hibiscus and rose petals including tiny rose hips. We don’t grow any roses or hibiscus. I’m ecstatic!
Fig Rose Tea Ingredients: Almonds, Apple, Beet Root Pieces, Figs, Hibiscus, Hibiscus Flowers, Pineapple, Rose Petals.
I’ve used sliced, raw almonds successfully and dehydrated the remaining ingredients before, so I got right on it.
The first mix of the main ingredients was only slightly disappointing. I missed the caramel and musky undertones, likely from dried jams. Next week I plan to work with brown sugar and see if I can’t come closer to the original flavor.
I assure you, it’s quite worth the effort! I’ll keep you posted.
Image courtesy Steepster.com